Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Needler Makes A Point

Huh. So Dan actually has a rationale for fooling his readers. And here I thought it was just "tricks for clicks."

Somehow I don't think we will see QR codes downtown anytime soon. I will make sure I keep some nickels and singles on hand to pay the exact fare ($1.05 for seniors) to Westfield when I want to go shopping.

Cranky? Yes! Last night I was waiting for Off the Hook to come on WBAI when country music broke out and an announcer declared the station was now bringing the genre's best hits to NYC. I can still remember some other overnight conversions at favorite stations, such as WRVR back in the day, and I was in shock last night until the OTH host, Emmanuel Goldstein, came on and warned listeners what might happen if they didn't come across with pledges. Whew!

There's a saying that the only constant is change, and being a full-blooded Taurus, I hate change. Although ... if downtown Plainfield changed back to the days when I could go shopping at Macy's on East Front Street, I wouldn't mind. A Trader Joe's was a fleeting promise for the PNC Bank. I could have gone for that, too. Meanwhile, the 59 bus remains my ride to a shopping experience that echoes the days of the Queen City as a regional retail draw. Reminding us old folks about what we're missing is a bitter joke.

3 comments:

  1. oh Bernice... once SRB is gone all will suddenly be right... You'll have your Trader Joe's, all of Downtown Westfield's shopping possibilities as well as a chicken for your pot.. I mean if you believe the wind coming out of the Local Dem's bags.. If you're a realist, you'll continue to spend your money out of town .. With that blessing from King Jerry comes a price.. Hear No Evil, See No Evil and Speak No Evil being the big one... even the Needler has suddenly toed Jerry's line in the last few months and played good boi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Rob from "Off the Hook" here. I happened by this post while idly searching for reactions to our little country-music joke.

    Thank you so much for listening! I hope the tunes didn't do any lasting damage, and any crankiness has since cleared up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! A celebrity comment! I am only cranky when WBAI can't broadcast your show, as happened last week. As a 50-year listener, I keep hoping they will solve their technical issues someday.

      Delete