Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Tale of Two Web Sites

Michael Townley commented that the city web side no longer has Sharon's image on it, and he's right.

That is, if you are looking at plainfield.com

Above is a screen shot just taken at plainfieldnj.gov

The ,gov site is more recent and was deemed more appropriate for a municipality. Depending what you have bookmarked, you might be seeing the image above or this one at the .com address:
 Dan has opined that the city should keep both, as the .com site was due to expire and who knows who might get their mitts on it. See his post here.

Well, because there are still two, both should be cleaned up, or at least preference given to the .gov site. One could keep the .com with a redirect to .gov.if it is so important to retain both.

Transitions are never easy and the new administration doesn't need a chorus of advice. Or maybe they do in this case at least, if nobody thought out the ramifications of having two existing web sites and updating the old one rather than the new one.

--Bernice

6 comments:

  1. Yeah, get rid of that picture that looks like Adrian's watching the planes flying into the World Trade Center.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The website now states Carl Riley is the Public Safety Director. I have never heard of Mr. Riley before hmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Shall Remain AnonymousJanuary 3, 2014 at 12:27 PM

      I know him as Detective Carl Riley. He was the Chief Detective in the killing of my son almost 10 years ago. I called on him for many years after my son's death. Each and every time he was patient and understanding.

      I clearly remember one late night sitting in my car in my driveway on my son's birthday with the car running. I didn't know who to call so I called Detective Riley. He answered his cell phone and sounded as though he was sleeping. I believe he knew who was calling and I believe he knew what was on my mind. He talked to me for what seemed like hours. He asked me if anyone was with me. He asked me where was I. I cried and cried and cried to this man and he held the phone. To this day, I believe he got in his car and drove past my house because I remember a car slowly driving past my house. I remember him asking me if he should send someone to my home and I said no.

      At the end of our conversation he asked me if I would be alright and I said yes. I remember that car slowly driving by my house. I went inside my house and cried myself to sleep.

      Detective Riley called me the very next day.

      Yes I know Mr. Carl Riley.

      Delete
  3. I read those earlier posts and I had no idea there were actually two separate sites instead of just two URLs. That's so crazy on so many levels I'm struggling to keep my head from exploding!
    PS It costs about $15.00 per year to maintain registration of a URL. The city should just pay for the damn .com for 25 years and redirect to the .gov; problem solved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous at 11:47 hit the nail on the head. Just pay for the registration (and for as many others as needed to protect the City from having its name used on a rogue site) and redirect .com to .gov. Its a simple solution used all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like we are still paying taxes to Sharon.
    https://www.cit-e.net/plainfield-nj/cit-e-access/TaxBill_Std/?TID=123&TPID=12099

    ReplyDelete