Sunday, March 2, 2014

Twin City Vignette


Lately the phrase, "You don't get out much, do you?" applies to me, but Saturday evening I ventured over to the Twin City supermarket for a few things.

A family of four was walking ahead of me when one of the little girls started skipping, In a moment of pure whimsy, all four, including the dad, held hands and skipped to the entrance. I was touched by the dad's willingness to please his daughter, even at the risk of looking silly.

Later I saw a woman shopper dressed in white from head to toe - a long tiered skirt,. flowing blouse and jacket, slippers and a head wrap, all white. She ended up at the checkout counter next to mine and I kept stealing glances at her garb and many beaded necklaces. I guessed that I was looking at an initiate of the Santeria religion. I knew of the religion from my informal studies of beliefs and have seen other local indications of its presence here, including a woman who attended a City Council meeting similarly dressed. Initiates must wear white for a year.It reminded me again of Plainfield's diversity.

The last experience was being handed more than thirty-two dollars in change, though I had given the cashier only a $20 bill. My musings on the woman in white had distracted me, but not enough to pocket the "change" without registering the error. I gave the money back and got the proper change.

These small incidents that I found so interesting probably prove that I have been housebound, or nearly so, for too long this winter. I left feeling sentimental about the little family, intrigued by seeing the iwayo and glad the cashier didn't get in trouble.

--Bernice

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for talking about the human side of our wonderful city. It's so easy to forget that this is what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete