Friday, August 29, 2014

Hooked on Crocheting Snowflakes

As previously reported, I took up a new interest this summer, crocheting snowflakes with No. 10 thread and a size 7 steel crochet hook. Having completed a couple dozen, I moved on to the next step, stiffening them with a white glue and water mixture.

I pinned the first four onto templates and waited for them to dry overnight. Unpinning the now-stiff snowflakes, I realized each one was flawed. Instead of symmetry on six points and all in between, I found mistakes that made them worthless as ornaments. They weren't as bad as the famous spiders on drugs results, but missing picots and chains ruined them.

Today I pinned four more which seem to be error-free. Here are two of them skewered with the special glass-head pins I bought.
This may be one of the dumbest projects I ever undertook, even though it appeals to my OCD tendencies. At least it's an inexpensive way to while away the time between council meetings and political skullduggery.

--Bernice

1 comment: