Sunday, August 3, 2014

Snowflakes vs. Hats

Somehow crocheting snowflakes is not proving to be as relaxing a pastime as I expected.
I am working from an old booklet on how the make the snowflakes and I forgot how complicated the directions can get.

So far I have produced a couple dozen wadded-up lumps of string that will need to be starched and pinned into shape. My quest for rust-proof straight pins led to many inquiries on Amazon. Is nickel-plated steel really rust-proof? Where are the stainless steel ones? Should I use T-pins or ball-topped pins? What the heck else can I order to add up to $35? Solution: A Broken Bells CD, a replacement spool for the (other kind of string) trimmer, another crochet booklet and an extra pack of pins.}

Now all I need is a foam board for pinning. I already picked up white glue to use for stiffening. I have designated The Crochet Architect as my official coach in this venture. Geez - 54 pins per snowflake? Twenty-four hours to dry?

The winter holidays are a long way off, enough time to test my tenacity in following crochet instructions and doing all else necessary to turn out a snowflake made of white string and glue.
Come to think of it, I also have plenty of time to reconsider and drop back to crocheting hats. They require little concentration, can be done in an hour and will keep some kiddies' heads warm all winter.
Exquisite seasonal doo-dads or simple practicality? This world is so full of major dilemmas, I'm glad I have just this little one.

--Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment