Sunday, December 5, 2010

Bargains - Just a Bus or Train Ride Away

Image: Ornamental cabbage in downtown Westfield planter.

Friday was my day to take action and prepare for winter.

My old jacket was just getting too worn out and I had no waterproof footwear for those treks to public meetings in foul weather. My messenger bag somehow has been feeling heavier these days and I was looking for a change.

So despite being one of the worst consumers in Central Jersey, I was off to Westfield on a mission.

Among the very pricey and (to me) overly ornamented jackets at a well-known department store in Westfield, I found one in my target price range. At 40 percent off, it was even better. A stylish, small handbag on sale gave me one of those moments that more ardent shoppers have all the time - the thrill of acquiring something that will make me feel happy every time I use it.

The waterproof footwear was not so much of a bargain, but given that I have been looking for weeks online for something sturdy and reliable, it solved the problem.

I felt somewhat ostentatious on the public transit with my shopping bags, but I expect these items to last a long time. When you get up in years, you start thinking that some purchases may outlive the purchaser, especially if you are not one to bow to fashion and redo your wardrobe every season.

Today another 35 percent-off coupon is burning a hole in my wallet. As much as I dislike shopping in crowds, Westfield is beckoning ...

I do believe in that great New England credo, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without," but every so often, you gotta go shopping.

--Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment