Thursday, December 16, 2010

Diet Distractions

I used to read labels and shake my head over the nutritional information. Some foods appeared to be well within the limits for sodium values and such, unless you took into account the serving size. A very small can of vegetables might contain two servings at half a cup each, meaning all the values listed had to be doubled if you used the whole can. But given the average size of American portions, half a can looks kind of lonely on a plate.

Well, now I am looking at that lonely amount quite often, thanks to a diet I have been given. My refrigerator is full of little containers with half-cup leftovers of food. This diet also allows for portions such as one-eighth of an avocado. As a senior home alone most of the time, what am I supposed to do with the other seven eighths?

It is taking much more time out of the day to meet the various requirements of this diet and so far I have not got the hang of it. I don't mind eating the same thing a couple days in a row, but it could take a week or so to use up certain foods at this rate. If you see me muttering to myself at a council meeting and counting on my fingers, I am probably figuring out how long it will take to go through a bunch of broccoli or a head of cabbage a half-cup at a time.

--Bernice




4 comments:

  1. Bernice--you can actually freeze avacado pretty well if you mash it up with lime or lemon juice to keep it from turning brown. Freeze in tightly sealed ziploc, or maybe first pre-freeze in ice-cube tray for the portions you are describing? Defrost in fridge overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I appreciate your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are you dieting? Is it for health restrictions - because if it is to lose weight, all I have to say is;

    YOU LOOK MAAAAVELOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THIS FOR ME PLEASE WHAT BENEFITS DO COUNCIL MEMBERS GET

    ReplyDelete