Friday, April 10, 2015

Soon, A Time to Sow

These Cosmos flowers really brightened the garden last summer and I am looking forward to planting my saved seeds soon.
I have a couple of paper lunch bags full of Cosmos seeds that I laboriously gathered and cleaned last fall.
Here's how they look with all the chaff removed.
I have Coleus, Alyssum, Chinese Forget-Me-Not, Portulaca, Thunbergia and Nasturtium seeds saved from last summer, along with some Balsam mislabeled as Peruvian Balsam. Click any image to enlarge.

Some of these seeds are very tiny and getting them cleaned is the perfect OCD pastime for me. A good show on the radio and a dish of seeds to sort is a nice Fall activity, with the promise of a big reward in Summer.

--Bernice

7 comments:

  1. Hi Bernice,

    This is my first year sowing cosmos seeds, I know the seedlings are frost sensitive. When do you usually sow them? Do you risk it now or what a few weeks?

    Tim Kirby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some Cosmos seeds left in the ground over the winter have come up as volunteers, but for a new planting I would suggest late April or early May.

      Delete
  2. Hi Bernice,

    We do the same. We have a lot of Cosmos and other seeds. We collect them every year just before winter for next season. Perhaps you would like to come and visit once we finish planting for this new season.

    Norman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn Bernice
    Selling weed like that in the open better watch out narcos may come and get you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously doubt anyone would confuse Orange Cosmos with OG Kush.

      Delete
    2. I wouldn't be. One morning i woke up to find 6 men walking in the garden. It turned out they were from narcotics. They were inspecting my spider flowers thinking they were marihuana. I told them, i buy those at Home Depot. They did not have a warrant. Even then i invited them to search my home. They did. Of course they did not find anything. Only in Plainfield.

      Delete
  4. Yo Bernice hook me up with that Orange Cosmos sounds insane NaMeen

    lol

    ReplyDelete