Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April Flowers

I must say, when worldly matters get too oppressive or confusing, I am very glad to have something from the plant world to take my mind off them. It was therefore a big treat to see pretty pink flowers emerging from my African Violet, which spends most of the time just being a bunch of fuzzy, dark green leaves.

The 40 orange tulip bulbs I planted last fall in honor of my neighbor's Dutch heritage are now putting on a show. This one is a peony-flowered variety called "Orange Princess" and is related to the "Princess Irene" tulip. It is featured at the famed Keukenhof gardens.

These delicate flowers will each produce a "silver dollar" seedpod later on. This plant is known as Lunaria, Honesty or Money Plant. If only we could grow $3.4 million in the back yard to make up the budget shortfall! Here is what another blogger has to say about this plant. Both money and honesty are good things to have in city government.

--Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment