Thursday, July 7, 2011

Fraternities Mark Centennials


It wasn't until I moved to Plainfield in 1983 that I started to become aware of the huge contributions of black fraternities and sororities to the well-being of their communities and especially to young people. I came to recognize the purple and gold of Omega Psi Phi and the pink and green of Alpha Kappa Alpha, among others. Just now, on Michel Martin's "Tell Me More," I heard about the centennials of Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi this year. Whether you are a fraternity member or someone who has yet to learn about these groups, you might be interested in the transcript at the link above.

Congratulations to the fraternities and their members here. One of the most loyal members I met over the years was former Mayor Mark Fury, who displayed the purple and gold whenever possible.

--Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment