Sunday, July 3, 2011

Waffling on the Slide Show

After reading the terms of service for slide.com once more, I decided to forego making a slideshow of the parade until somebody tells me in plain English what I would be getting into by signing up. The social media folks seem bent on getting all the information possible about a person across as many platforms as possible. Facebook wants my phone number, LinkedIn wants me to Twitter, and so on.

Anyway, about the parade - One curious sight was a contingent of top-hatted grotesque creatures whose faces were actually painted stomachs.

I had never seen such get-ups before, but apparently it is a well-known thing with variations such as the faces being made to look like they are whistling. I found two references online to that practice, one being a Whistler Drill Team suggested by Scouts in Canada.

Is this amusing or creepy? The cigarette in the bellybutton was kind of gross, but onlookers were laughing at the sight.

Who knew after such a perfect day for the parade that Sunday would be a big washout? The Independence Day festival that started Saturday was supposed to span the long weekend. Maybe Monday will be better. According to Mayor Sharon Robinson-Briggs, the city pools will be open Monday as well.

--Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment