Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Frigid Weather Inspires Invaders

Not only was a squirrel trying to gnaw its way into my apartment today, a big creepy bug actually came out of nowhere and crawled around near the kitchen.

The creepy-crawly was a Leaf-legged Bug, so named for leaf-like appendages on its rear legs. It was moving really slowly on one of the hinges left from when the kitchen had doors and was a closet in the Yates mansion.
I accidentally knocked it out of place, setting off a hunt for its whereabouts. This went on for some time until I saw it crawling up the back of my jeans leg. It was dispatched forthwith to the traditional burial at sea (flushed) that we also employed for two stinkbugs in the past week or so.

I still had shivers from hearing the squirrel chewing his way into the building. Squirrels have gotten in to the large enclosed porch several times in the past and wreaked destruction trying to get back out. We haven't had one since Mau the feral cat came to live indoors. But picturing a battle between Mau and a squirrel was not reassuring.
Mau fancies himself a Cat of Leisure, not a warrior.

It must be the cold weather that is inspiring this critter interest in being inside. I like very much to be inside in cold weather myself, but I don't like to share the premises with strangers of other species.
One year a band of squirrels began practicing their version of polyamory in the dropped ceiling and crashed down into my space. I think that's when I must have had the heart attack that showed up as part of my cardiac history recently. The thought of another invasion is giving me palpitations already. I'm sorry to say I wouldn't mind if the outside feral cats decided to step up their squirrel consumption before one of the fuzzy-tailed rodents drops in on me again.

--Bernice

No comments:

Post a Comment