Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Cat Logic

Mau, the formerly feral cat who now rules my household, invokes plausible deniability on the charge of waking me up multiple times a night. He blames my interrupted sleep on the mockingbird that has begun singing all night just outside my window.

But, I argue, it is not the mockingbird who is meowing loudly in my ear and clawing my arm to get my attention at random intervals in the dark.
Mau asserts innocence. How could such a darling creature have malicious intent, he asks. It must be that thing with the clocks - springing ahead? - that is keeping cats and birds awake at odd hours.

Besides, a cat that wants to eat, drink and play at whatever hour is surely much better than a cat that just sits there. If that were the case, you'd have to call Confuse-A-Cat.  As it is now, all you have to do is get up and do my bidding, he says. That is, now that the mockingbird has already awakened you. And anyway, that alarm clock will be going off in, say, one or two or three hours from now. So get up!

--Bernice

10 comments:

  1. Bernice, There is a kitten that has been in a tall Elk tree for three days now. Can't get down. I have left food and she has decended to the lowest branch, which is still quite a leap. Any idea how to get her to jump. Tried a ladder but she went up higher. Now she is on the last branch. It is heartbreaking. With all that wind I was hoping she would blow off the tree but she is strong and this morning she is still here crying. I know the Fire Dept. can't help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no expertise in this problem. Readers?

      Delete
  2. Bernice, you have at last learned the true facts of life; "man's"best friend may be a dog but man is a cat's servant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leave the ladder in place and go away. Cats will learn how to get down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ask around to see if any of your neighbors are missing a cat. Perhaps the owner would be willing to venture up and the kitten will not climb higher and come to him/her. As a reminder, have a pair of heavy-duty gloves on as the cat will scratch when you grab it - my cat taught me this lesson the hard way. How high up in the tree is the cat?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bernice, wow, how cute. Your kitty is bigger than my Maltese!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Mau needs an attorney to fend himself from these outlandish accusations!

    He's grown into such a beautiful cat. Had he remained in the life of a feral, he'd probably not still be around today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cat is still in the tree about 75 feet resting on the lowest branch. No organization provides help, we can't loop a rope with basket and food near the branch and the other cats have come around after hearing her cries. She still has not attempted to go to the other side of the tree and jump to the other tree. This is so sad the Hawk is circling. Day four still crying, I think it is a house cat, because the feral ones around here have been here forever and have never gone up that tree. Humane Society said it will come down but I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the location of this tree? I will post it separately and maybe someone with expertise will help. I have always heard that cats will come down, but once my son-in-law climbed a utility pole to save a neighborhood cat in Seattle.

      Delete
  8. 1106 Park Ave., Hamshire Court. Tree is in the quad that faces Park Ave. And yes, it is still there. Tried to throw a rope up to tie one end to a basket with food, but no one could pitch it over. I stand corrected the cat is only 50 feet up but is on the lowest branch. Firemen looked at the situation, but could not get the OK from chief.

    ReplyDelete