Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Hotter Than The Hinges of Hell

Yes, we are in for a heatwave.

Three days with temperatures over 90 degrees is a regular heat wave, so I hope you have put some strategies in place. I don't have air conditioning, so I try to do things early, because by mid-afternoon, it feels like time for a siesta.

When I worked in a newsroom kept at 60 degrees, I used to go out and sit in my car to warm up. But I happened to have an old round wall thermometer in the car once, and it went up to 113 degrees inside the closed car. Don't leave children, pets or sensitive devices like cameras in a vehicle when it's over 90 degrees.

So far I have not heard or seen any advisories on cooling centers, but if you are on the Nixle network, you may get a phone call about where to go to stay cool for a while.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) have suggestions on a "SciJinks" page for young people titled, "What is a Heat Wave?"

July in New Jersey gets that way, so look out for the very young, very old, and anyone with asthma. Click here for air quality alerts from the NJDEP.

--Bernice

1 comment:

  1. It was announced today that the Senior Citizens Center is a cooling center. Starting today it will be open until 8pm.

    ReplyDelete