Thursday, July 10, 2014

Gooaal!

My goal in summer is to have a pretty garden, but I am finding the neighbor children's soccer practice to be a menace. At first, I couldn't figure out how my Hosta was getting smashed. But then I saw a soccer ball come sailing over a garage roof and forcefully bouncing onto the plants.

As much as I tried to get excited about the World Cup, I took a dimmer and dimmer view of soccer practice by these aspiring young players. In a "Hey, you kids!" moment, I asked them please to be more careful, but they denied any culpability. I thought of seizing the ball the next time it landed on a plant, but I was never outside at the right moment.

So here's how I like the Hosta to look:
and here's how some of it looks now:
Defeat! Neighbor kids 1, me nil.

Oh well, it will grow back next year, I suppose.

--Bernice

3 comments:

  1. it will grow back.. my hosta, a multitude of other plants and parts of my lawn were the victim of the enthusiasm of youth with a soccer ball... I'm lucky..they are good kids and so are their parents.. a quick chat and their play was adjusted so that it went length wise on their yard ( along the shurbs ) instead of across the front of their lawn into mine..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernice don't feel. My neighbor waters my newspapers most mornings when he waters his grass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for your loss, but the deer eat all of my hosta even in my fenced in back yard! Even when I spray it heavily with the "eco friendly/green" spray Deer Off, they eat it down to the ground. It's like a salad bar for them. I live on Watchung Ave. By the way, I've never posted before but have lived here for 5 years. I want to thank you most sincerely for the service that you provide with your incredibly information-filled blog. I truly appreciate your very important work/service to the community through your blog and apologize for having taken 5 years to thank you for it. I'm one of those "blog lurkers" who don't post, but maybe I'll become more vocal in my next five years here. I hope you are feeling better! I love your posts about Seattle too. I've visited there and it is an amazingly beautiful part of our country. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete