Wednesday, July 9, 2014

A Cat Tale

Mau at ease

Mau, the feral cat who joined our household in 2008, put on quite a dramatic show when my daughter arrived to help me out with my hospital visit. The minute Audrey entered the apartment, Mau began yowling as if his world was ending on the spot. He ran to to deepest corner of a hall closet and began literally to climb the wall.

No amount of cajoling or chiding could make him stop. Finally I dragged him out and put him on the enclosed porch, where he managed to disappear. We put his food and water out there in hopes that he would feel safe enough to eat and drink. Oh, and the litter box went out there, too.

We were all mystified. People say Audrey and I sound alike when we speak, so it wasn't her voice that set him off. It's true that I have visited Audrey in Seattle more often than she has visited us since Mau arrived, and when she and Peter arrived the last time, Mau was also inhospitable, but still, such drama seemed excessive. When someone spent time in the apartment to install a wireless system recently, Mau looked on with interest and did not disgrace himself with such bad manners.

After Audrey left, Mau emerged by degrees, warily peeking into the front room and skulking away at the slightest noise. Eventually he sat down and relaxed, though with much tail-twitching to show he was still on high alert.

I knew it was the old Mau when he went from being excessively demonstrative and lovey-dovey to coming up behind me and attacking while I was trying to blog. A cat expert explained this play-fighting (which feels like actual fighting) by saying Mau thinks of me as a litter-mate.
Mau using the netbook as a pillow.
Unlike Audrey's beloved cat, Ichiro, Mau does not sit on laps or otherwise act as a companion, though he has one endearing trick, meowing a little song while bringing me a trophy such as a toy mouse or bird.
Ichiro
  Ichiro became ill and died recently after 13 years of loving companionship with Audrey and Peter. They miss him very much.

--Bernice

7 comments:

  1. Such a nice story Bernice...thank you for sharing..
    I have 2 Feral cats that adopted me and eventually became indoor/outdoor cats.
    Their love of my company is annoyingly excessive at times but I remind myself it's rare two cats with similar circumstances would co-exist much less feel at home together in my apartment. They will tolerate my neighbor and her dog..more and more as time passes but NOT my daughter, no matter how many times she is here they disappear inside and out until her departure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first time in my life, I have a cat who seems to love everybody ... me, the most, of course. Mau has grown into such a beautiful cat despite his anti-Audrey antics. Maybe jealousy? My condolences on the loss of Ichiro -- I recall you posting about him during your visits out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bernice,

    Thanks for such your great cat story. Those of us who love cats know Mau's behavior is just part of the eternal mystery of cats. The best truism that all cat-people can relate to is, "Dogs have Masters and Cats have Staff." Ours is not to reason why a cat does something. It is just to deal with it.

    I am sorry for the loss of Ichiro. No matter how old they are, they never live long enough.

    Tom Kaercher

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is true; "Cats are cats" and no two are alike. Unlike dogs who treat people as their master and benefactor, cats' philosophy is one of having a human to meet its needs, take it or leave it. Also their relationships change with time and circumstances.

    Mau is one beautiful cat but like many not willing to share his human.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mau is so handsome. Maybe he senses the close relationship and is reacting? I think our pets know us sometimes more than we know ourselves.

    I have four cats my kittie pride -- Blackie (oldest female), Tiger (4 yo male), Beau and Buddy (2 yo brothers).

    No one bothers Blackie. Anyone who enters the house, she walks up and demands petting -- loudly, with a paw. Blackie is the smallest and the cat boss.

    Tiger will cautiously check out the stranger, then allow petting.

    Buddy and Beau -- they run to the basement or attic and hide. If the visitor is quiet and stays for a while, they will peek around corners at them.

    They all have their personalities, likes and dislikes. My crew come when I call them (I trained them with treat rewards), all love being brushed. Blackie and Tiger are lap cats. Beau's favorite spot is my shoulder. Buddy is a cuddler at bedtime.

    They are a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might add that Ichiro reminded me of our Black Cat 'Samantha" a foundling who had been abandoned into our nearby woods. Sam spent about 15 years with us as an indoors cat along with a succession of two dogs and a crippled autocratic cowbird. Samantha was a notorious "can't finder" who liked to hide in the bed under the covers between the two pillows.

    Once when we went on 2 weeks vacation my then office nurse volunteered to her regret to keep her. The day after we had left, my nurser had unthinkingly left the front door of her house open for a period of time. After a near heart attack looking for the cat and not finding her fearing how she could explain what had happened she serendipitously found that invisible cat in her bed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to be Mau in my next life.

    ReplyDelete