Saturday, March 12, 2016

Where Are Facts in Reid Case?

A dozen speakers testified at the March 7 City Council meeting on the character of Police Lt. Ken Reid, their point being he should not have to face demotion or forced retirement for an undisclosed infraction,

I reported on what they said in the meeting's public comment portion. Later in the week, a commenter asked, "when do you think we will know what happened for them wanting to suspend him? like from your experience? Because I'm hearing alot of rumors but no hard facts."

From my experience as a reporter for 16 years, I can say when there is an internal police matter or an ongoing investigation, law enforcement officials will not - in fact, cannot - disclose details. I may have heard every last detail out on the street, but as a journalist, I could not write a news story based on hearsay or rumors. If there is an indictment or an official statement on a case, then it can be reported. See a Courier News story about some police cases here.

Bloggers do not have to play by the same rules as newspapers, unless they feel it is important to deal in facts and not hearsay. But bloggers generally do not have press credentials and so may not have the same access to  official sources that a reporter with a state-issued press pass has. In the Hellwig matter, neither Mark Spivey nor I wrote about it when all we had was unverified documents. I got criticized by the publisher of an unsigned article about it, and a commenter claimed there was a "cover-up." See my response here.

It took about four years for a court case to provide corroboration.

Speakers at the March 7 meeting wanted the governing body to get Reid off the hook, but Council President Cory Storch explained it was a police matter outside their purview. Some speakers scoffed, saying the council could help Reid if they felt like it. But as we know, elected officials who "fix" things can get in trouble themselves.

Reid may have to go to court for redress if he feels he is being treated unfairly by his superiors, At least he will have a great many people lending emotional and spiritual support in the struggle, which is more than most others have.

--Bernice

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Bernice! I was really curious, you more then answered my question, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete