Saturday, January 16, 2016

A Flash from the Past

Reddy Kilowatt

I have always liked Reddy Kilowatt, going back to my antediluvian school days when children were given such tokens. (Another was a miniature loaf of Wonder Bread, not so intriguing.) I was over-serious and fretful a lot of the time and this jaunty fellow with a light-bulb nose and lightning-bolt limbs was a reminder to be upbeat and energetic, or at least get my nose out of a book once in a while.

My daughter knew of my second-childhood wish to have a Reddy Kilowatt pin once more, so when she spotted one while on a trip to Hawaii, she bought it for me.

Looking around the interwebs for some background on Reddy Kilowatt, I found out that he was an icon also to Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead.and that he figured in a celebration of Lesh's 70th birthday.

There is also a website devoted to everything Reddy Kilowatt.

Nowadays with incandescent bulbs outlawed and LED (light emitting diode) a prime successor to Mr. Kilowatt, I suppose he has to retire in favor of his great-grandchild, Leddy Kilowatt.

Whatever you find illuminating, remember to stay on the bright side in 2016!

--Bernice



.


.


1 comment:

  1. Great post, Bernice! I am pledging to be progressive and productive this year! And...to finally take a real vacation, which I haven't been able to do in years. Looking on the bright side!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete