Thursday, September 30, 2010

Seen Around the City

From Cleveland Avenue, one can see workers converting an old commercial building on Park Avenue for residential use, one of two conversions on the same block by Paramount Assets.

One part of the old senior center rental space on East Front Street is being converted to a chicken restaurant, and it looks like the owner has made a couple of new storefronts out of the remaining space, which also included the Community Policing unit. Both the senior center and police unit are now at 400 East Front Street.

I have been curious about plans for the rooftop terrace at The Monarch, the 63-unit condo complex also at 400 East Front Street. But it was too hot this summer to gad about on foot. I finally got over there and saw what looked like a barren space, even though the developer agreed to a design by April Stefel of the Planning Division some time ago, before she was laid off. I didn't even see the potted arbor vitae that are on the developer's ad for the condos. Maybe next year.

East Front Street will soon have "La Casa del Pollo" to add to the other chicken joints.

A new Mexican grocery on East Front Street is festooned with pinatas.

Changing of the guard - Marshall & Moran are now in charge at 128 East Seventh Street.

Back home and taking yet another fond look at the Thunbergia. I recommend this plant to anyone who wants a lovely trailing or climbing vine.
Hoping to get around more now that cool days are arriving!
--Bernice

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the flower shot and name of the Thunbergia. I have a fence in my backyard that separates my backyard from an old split up Victorian. After I clean up my yard ( brush, debris, trees ) the neighbors have cleaned up theirs', but I am still looking at a chain link fence with a parking lot behind it. I looked up that plant and it seems like a perfect choice to cover the fence next spring! The seeds are available online as well!

    ReplyDelete