Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Welcome to Plainfield

Old hippies are perhaps my favorite demographic. So the sight of this van on East Front Street entranced me. A long-haired elder dude was strolling away from it toward Park Avenue, so I was free to gawk.

The kayak on top was interesting, as were the California plates.

Two pretty birds in a cage occupied the passenger seat. An exotic contrast to the "Bill's Luncheonette" sign reflected in the window. No organic alfalfa sprouts in there, dear visitor.

Mmmm ... a bike named "Surly" with Python tires. Not my usual downtown sight by a long shot.

I finished my voyeuristic activity just as the owner was returning. By coincidence, I had just taken Ken Kesey's book about the Magic Bus "Furthur" out of the Plainfield Public Library and had been enjoying the photos of Neal Cassady. Some era.

I smiled and wondered what brought this visitor to Plainfield and what he thought of this stop on his road trip, too shy to ask. For me, it was a bit of time travel back to the days of paisley and patchouli. And beautiful downtown Plainfield was just that, if only for a moment.

--Bernice

1 comment:

  1. Bernice, the retired reporter....too shy to ask. You caused me to pause and grin at the irony of that. LOL. I am sharing your page with a modern day "hippie" / "love-child" in my life who means the world to me...she will enjoy your photos of the van and perhaps your blog as well. She is very active in the blogosphere...thanks for sharing Bernice.

    ReplyDelete