Sunday, September 6, 2015

Summer Winds Down

A back yard find on this long weekend - one of the skinniest mantises I have seen. It is a male that appears more like a juvenile than an adult. I did not see any wings, which by now the other mantises have.

Here is a closeup of a Gray Hairstreak, a very small butterfly that was a favorite of my childhood. I grew up in another city where my early nature study took place in a vacant lot on our block. There was a lot to see even in a city setting and I still marvel at what I find now in a back yard off one of Plainfield's busiest intersections at Park & Seventh.

--Bernice

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures of nature. Thanks for sharing

    Robin B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for saying that summer is "winding down". I get so tired of people who actually think summer really ends on Labor Day. We're supposed to have a very warm September and I'm ready for a real autumn. Take care.

    ReplyDelete