Thursday, September 17, 2015

Mau's Trip to the Vet

In anticipation of having to take Mau to the vet for a checkup and immunizations, we set out the mesh carrier so he would get used to it. He last traveled in it a while ago and it seemed prudent to reacquaint him with the carrier. Sprinkling catnip inside proved to be a good inducement.

I tried zipping him in and hoisted the bag on my shoulder like some kind of exotic cat purse. I was surprised how heavy it was, and realizing how powerful the once-runty kitty had become, I began having second  thoughts about the soft carrier. What if he decided to break out while en route to the vet's office? The last time, we had door-to-door service with Rasheed Abdul-Haqq at the wheel, but this time we would have to go back and forth by taxi. We miss Rasheed a lot for many reasons, ease of travel being just one.

In the end, for safety's sake, we put Mau in the big dog crate that was his original indoor home until he got acclimated. Luckily for me, my son was available to lug it down the stairs and into the taxi. Mau howled the whole time and hissed at the vet, then at me for submitting him to this experience.

Mau got good marks for everything except weighing 17.7 pounds. The vet suggested a diet, no surprise. We have to get him to shed four pounds or more by the next vet visit.

Here is another tale about Mau, the cat formerly known as Mousie. He still has his feral ways and refuses to be a lap kitty for more than 30 seconds at a time, but he can also be very endearing when he feels like it.

--Bernice

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the diet, my little Maltese Fluffy is also over weight,I try but he will not allow me to give him less food.

    RB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Mau on your almost perfect bill of health. You should have fun dieting. Our Boots is overweight too. It's hard for him to diet because he's so fussy about the food. :)

    Dee Dameron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing how much he's changed over the years.. My once feral cat is a complete attention hog.. lap, shoulders, stomach...any and all surfaces are prime sleeping ground for my Shadow when I am home or in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Mau from afar ... well, across town. I remember when he was taken in by you. He's beautiful, but definitely a hefty dude, I guess. Good luck with the diet!

    ReplyDelete