Without a City Council meeting since Oct. 13, I was running out of hyperlocal topics. A combination agenda-fixing and regular council meeting had been scheduled for Nov. 9, but was rescheduled by Council President Bridget Rivers to Nov. 23. Today the City Clerk's office issued notice of a "Special Meeting" on that date with 47 items listed.
All of a sudden the lack of news became a surfeit of possible blog posts, but there was no background information. I'm told there will be a regular packet available maybe on Friday, but meanwhile some of these topics are just too interesting to ignore. So I will venture into guesses and speculation while waiting for some facts.
Here are eight items off the list:
3. A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING RENEWAL OF AN INACTIVE LIQUOR LICENSE IDENTIFIED AS RICHMOND BEER GARDEN.
This sounds like a "pocket license," one without a location. It is not the one currently in use at the former Richmond Beer Garden, now called Express Night Club. The Richmond Beer Garden closed several years ago. There is a limit on how long an inactive license can be held without renewal. A license can lapse and cease to exist if not renewed within state Alcoholic Beverage Control timelines.
7. A RESOLUTION GRANTING ADVICE AND CONSENT OF APPOINTMENTS TO THE GREEN BROOK FLOOD CONTROL COMMISSION.
16. A RESOLUTION AUrolTHORIZING APPROVAL TO CANCEL DORMAN UEZ GRANTS.
30. A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING A CONTRACT WITH HOUSTON GALVESTON AREA COUNCIL.
37. A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE EXECUTION OF AN AGREEMENT WITH SOUTH SECOND STREET REDEVELOPMENT, LLC.
43. FIRST READING OF AN ORDINANCE AUTHORIZING THE EXECUTION OF A FINANCIAL AGREEMENT WITH SLEEPY HOLLOW DEVELOPERS URBAN RENEWAL LLC AND GRANTING A TAX EXEMPTION.
44. FIRST READING OF AN ORDINANCE AUTHORIZING APPROVAL TO VACATE PORTIONS OF THE OLD SOUTH AVENUE RIGHT OF WAY.
47. FIRST READING OF AN ORDINANCE DESIGNATING CERTAIN FOUR WAY STOP INTERSECTIONS.
If you are planning to attend the Nov. 23 Special meeting, please note the starting time is listed as 7 p.m., in Municipal Court, 325 Watchung Ave.