Sunday, November 8, 2015

Four-Star Maxson?

The first print edition of the Plainfield School District newsletter arrived in city mailboxes last week and included a message from Board President Wilma Campbell, with her email address and phone number.

I must say it  sounded just like Wilma, which is not always the case with public figures, especially the ones who have speech writers. 

One part sent me to Google for enlightenment.

"Our Maxson Middle School had a facelift, and our students boasted their school rivalled the beauty of four star hotels. That is a huge complement coming from middle school students. They are taking pride in the appearance of their building, and that is wonderful."

Four star hotels? I'm glad these students knew enough to make the analogy, because after nearly eight decades on the planet, I do not know what constitutes a four-star hotel.
Here is one definition of four-star hotels.

Maxson does look very nice, as this photo gallery attests. I leave it to my dear readers to decide whether the analogy is apt.

--Bernice

5 comments:

  1. Looks good but as long as we got police walking around with glocks on their hips in schools we haven't improved . Mr. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compliment, not complement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not the kids who know about the 4 star hotel, it's the Campbells.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely NOT a 4 Star anything. On back to school night the Cafetorium was crowded and HOT! They had to open the doors and it was still hot!

    Let's just say it is CLEAN, but that's what a school should be.

    A Parent

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of you are so negative you cannot even appreciate the big improvements at Maxson School. And Bernice I am very surprised at you. Sounds like you are really digging deep to find something negative to say. I hate to say it but you are beginning to sound like Dan Damon. It appears your only point here was trying to stir up some negative comments about Wilma Campbell. I am an elementary teacher and you'd probably be surprised at the interesting comments and analogies students make about a wide range of subjects. And that is one of the things that makes my work so delightful. Perhaps my students are always excited about sharing their thoughts because I am not criticizing every word that comes out of their mouths. And to 4:35 PM, I am pleased to hear the Cafetorium was crowded on back to school night. And also happy to hear the school was clean. When my son went there it was filthy and back to school night was not well attended.

    ReplyDelete