Friday, November 20, 2015

Mayor's Town Hall


Inspiration is failing to strike after yet another day of repairs in the apartment. Mau and I camped out on the enclosed porch while the workers toiled. I am reading Orhan Pamuk's new book, "A Strangeness in My Mind," about a street vendor's life in Turkey. The story follows his personal transitions as Istanbul itself undergoes changes. I just tore through Margaret Atwood's new book, "The Heart Goes Last" and recently read Patti Smith's "M Train" and Carrie Brownstein's "Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl" while deterred from my usual activities.

Monday will be the big day for news, with a 47-item special meeting at 7 p.m. in Municipal Court. Most people will then be in holiday mode for the next few weeks, but December will start with a flurry of public meetings. 

The Zoning Board of Adjustment meets on Dec. 2 and will hear an application to convert a large South Avenue industrial building to a self-storage facility. The Planning Board meets on Dec. 3, the same night as Mayor Adrian O. Mapp's Town 
Meeting. That is a bit of a quandary for me.

The last time I had to choose between a Planning Board meeting and one on economic development, I ended up picking the one within walking distance. Being unable to guess which one will yield the most news, I may have to go for proximity again on Dec. 3.

Here is the mayor's notice:

Mayor's Town Hall
Please be advised that the Mayor will be hosting a "Town Hall Meeting" on Thursday, December 3rd, 2015 at 7:00 pm at the Plainfield Senior Citizens' Center.
  • Mobile Technology: The Mapp App
  • Economic Development: Updates  
  • Planning Division: Updates
Plainfield Senior Center Address:  400 E Front Street, Plainfield, New Jersey
Phone: (908) 753-3506

The Planning Board meets at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 3 in City Hall Library, 515 Watchung Ave.

If by any chance repairs are still going on here, I may simply end up at home with a good book.

--Bernice



1 comment: