Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Maria, Back in Charge

On my way back from the open house at Gavett Place Properties LLC, I stopped at Mi Buenaventura for some empanadas, having heard they were the best.

The place was packed with customers eating all kinds of specialties. One man had a whole fish on his plate, eyes and tail and all, exotic to my American upbringing on tuna casserole and such.

I went up to the counter and saw the owner directing waitstaff. Maria Rosa looked regal, not for her attire, which was simple, but for her air of competence. This was her domain, restored at last. Her customers' pleasure was evident as well.

I asked for some empanadas and a gentleman eating at the counter helped me out, explaining they were either filled with beef or chicken, never pork. A waitress gave me a bag with two beef empanadas and handed me a small container of something green.

"Picante sauce, for dipping the empanadas," the man explained.

At home, just a taste let me know it is far too spicy for me. The empanadas alone are excellent, with a fine crispy crust over shredded beef.

But the real takeaway Saturday was having been in the presence of someone adept at giving people so much more than food - a nourishment of the spirit as well. All the best to Maria in her new location!

--Bernice

6 comments:

  1. Bernice,

    any thoughts on the open house? would be very interested to hear about the turnout, interest shown, and apartment details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, Bernice. Where are they located? I love empanadas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 175 North Avenue, across from the main train station

      Delete
  3. You've piqued my curiosity as well. Have to make a stop there. Glad to hear she's back up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to hear that you stopped by, Bernice! It looks fantastic in there. We stopped by last week for dinner and it was delicious; I highly recommend the carne asada... Just be warned: these are family style portions, so come hungry. And with friends and family.

    Carlos Ponton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry we missed you! My wife and I went to the open house and to see Maria as well. The apartments were nice although the mustard color throughout was not to our taste. They said they expect to have occupancy by December 1.

    The empanadas were to our taste and we plan to go back.

    ReplyDelete