Tuesday, April 12, 2016

How Does My Garden Grow? Ask Me Later


One of my garden patches had crocuses and daffodils, with tulips on the way and forget-me-nots, white columbine, coral bells and irises in queue for spring, to be followed by black-eyed susans, sunflowers, balsam, purple coneflower, cosmos and nasturtiums in summer.
This rectangle was marked out in February, meaning there was an underground tank below part of that circular patch. I moved some plants over, out of the way, or so I thought.

A backhoe arrived one day recently and dug a hole that just swallowed up the whole thing.
Then workers removed the tank.
They kindly tried to save some bulbs, which I re-planted for next year..
There may be more digging, I'm told, so things are on hold in that part of the yard until it's all over.

As readers know, my little garden patches mean a lot to me, but this year the grounds around the building have pretty much been devastated. Workers who scraped and painted the building left concrete, paint and equipment on top of plants and several shrubs were mowed down by snowplows. It's a disheartening sight, but I guess every good thing must come to an end sometime. I have a lot of seeds saved from 2015 which may help brighten things up once the planting season arrives in earnest..

--Bernice

3 comments:

  1. So sad ... you grow the most beautiful flowers which attract very cool insects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to see the decimation or your garden. The good news is you will have a whole new pallet to paint when it's over- put in lots of milkweed for the butterflies! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. These UST removals require large excavations that sometimes grow to get all contaminated soil out.

    ReplyDelete